Why We Love Bless This House

In early 2021, the sitcom Bless This House will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary. As I write this, it has been more than 44 years since the last episode was originally broadcast. However, even after all this time has passed, Bless This House remains as popular as ever and is akin to a much-loved friend who brings us warmth, comfort and laughter when we need it most. First broadcast in an era when studio sitcoms dominated our television screens, Bless This House has very much stood the test of time and retains a place in our affections.


On the Sid's Place Twitter and Facebook pages, I recently devoted an entire week to Bless This House, a celebration of not only Sid James' most popular television role but also a tribute to the rest of the cast and crew who made this programme so special. Many of you who follow Sid's Place shared your personal favourite BTH episodes and moments throughout the week, in addition to any special memories that the show holds for you. I've shared many of your warm memories and classic moments a little further below. Many thanks to you all for making Bless This House Week such a success.



Why I Love Bless This House 

When Sid James sadly died in April 1976, just a few days after the final episode of the sixth series of Bless This House had been broadcast on ITV, I was just six years old. This means that I don't really have any memories of seeing the show when it was first broadcast but I am sure at some point I would have sat down with my mom, dad and elder brother to watch it as this is what families did then. Bless This House was very much a comedy that could be enjoyed by the entire family, without fear of offence or upset. 

In the years that followed, as Sid James became my comedy hero, I tried to find as much information as I could on the great man and watch as many films and TV shows to feature him as possible at the time. Of course, Bless This House was one of those shows and it very quickly became a firm favourite of mine. As much as I always enjoyed seeing Sid as the loveable rogue dreaming up one dodgy scheme after another and chasing the ladies in the process, I think the role of down to earth family man seemed to fit him like the proverbial glove. Sid Abbott in Bless This House was about as close to the real Sid as we TV viewers were going to get outside of interviews. Although the BTH Sid didn't intentionally chase the 'birds' or crack many saucy innuendoes, he still reassuringly enjoyed a pint down the pub with his mate Trevor and a Saturday afternoon on the football terraces. This Sid was all about the simple pleasures in life, making it so easy to identify with him.

You could tell Sid thoroughly enjoyed making Bless This House by his wonderful performances which crackled with energy every time, delivering his lines with a joyful zest and an ever-present gleeful twinkle in the eyes. He was ably abetted each week of course by the excellent trio of Diana Coupland, Robin Stewart and Sally Geeson, who were all integral to the show's huge success. Each of them played off the central figure of Sid wonderfully and came together so well as a unit that you could easily believe they were a real family. The fact that all of the cast got on so well together, making the show such a happy one to work on, obviously had a major positive impact in how the series was received by the public too. The real-life warmth that shone through on the screen was returned in spades by an adoring audience, a reciprocal gesture which shows no signs of abating all these years later if the fan comments below are anything to go by.

Watching anything with Sid James in makes me happy. Watching Bless This House makes me feel warm inside too.


Why We Love Bless This House

"Only watched this series recently, great chemistry between the cast. A show from way back that still entertains and can still be enjoyed today"  - Dean Smith

"Loved this series. All the cast seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Sometimes you forgot they were a fictional family as they gelled so well"  - Peter Aslett


"Just an amazing show and cast. The twinkle Diana Coupland had in her eyes when playing against Sid was so infectious"  - Max Zorin


"My first memories are the repeat showings in the 80s. I was already a Carry On fan and this was just perfect viewing. Fell in love with the show and all the characters immediately and still love it now" - Rockyraccoon

"The first series is my favourite. The black and white episodes are brilliant"  - Paul Burton, co-author with Robin Stewart of Being Mike Abbott.


"Loved the line when Mike was doing yoga and Sid is sat next to him trying to get his attention. Sid says 'I came in a few minutes ago but you were out!'  - Charlotte


"I just loved Bless This House and still do. Memories of a happy seventies childhood"  - SaschaC

"Fantastic. So believable as a real family. Love the relationship between them"  - Deborah Porritt

"There aren't many sitcoms today that make me laugh out loud but, nearly fifty years on, this one does"  - Mike Smith

"You were all amazing. Thanks for the laughs"  - Paul Corrigan

"Such a wonderful show. I wanted to thank Sally, Robin, Sid and Diane for all the laughs the show brought me and continues to do with the repeats on UK TV. Fantastic"  - Carl Staples

"I was little but I do remember watching episodes in the seventies. When Sid died I was six, that's how long I've loved Sid. He was one in a million"  - Melanie Assi

"Such a great funny sitcom. No foul language or smut, just great family entertainment. God bless Sid, Diana and Robin, and darling Sally is still as gorgeous as ever"  - Chris Honey


Thank you to everyone who left comments on both Twitter and Facebook for Bless This House Week. Sorry if yours hasn't been included here but unfortunately I haven't been able to include them all. I appreciate each and every one of you who follows Sid's Place. You are all helping in keeping the memory of Sid James very much alive.


I'll leave the final word to the lovely Sally Geeson -

"Bless This House was such a big part of my life and I had such a happy time. Without a shadow of a doubt, it's the thing I've enjoyed most in my career. Bless This House was a joy, everything about it was just a joy. Sid loved it too. He really did love that part."


 You can read my interview with Sally Geeson from 2017 here...A Chat With Sally Geeson

You can also find out more about Bless This House at the wonderful site Bless This House.net

  

Comments

Popular Posts